Queen me

Not only did I see bee larvae for the first time in the hive that swarmed, I saw the queen. This was the first time I’ve ever seen a queen in one of my hives.

She was clearly a replacement since she didn’t have a marking of any sort.

I didn’t do a very good job of quantifying the larvae, but there were older ones and freshly laid.

There also weren’t a ton of bees or much honey at all. So I put in a pollen patty and started them on 1:1 sugar water. I’ll check again on next Friday – Friday the 13th.

I also added an entrance reducer to keep out wasps, moths robbers.

As for the other hive, I cleaned out a few moths, larvae and cocoon. Think that’s getting closer to under control. But I need to find out of I can freeze the frame for a couple of days and stick it back in the hive.

I’ll ask about that at the bee meeting tomorrow.

I didn’t get very far into the bottom box because the bees seemed like they were getting pretty agitated and started spilling out over the top. So, I put everything back together.

However, I did put the small honey super between the two larger boxes so they’d be more likely to set up shop in it. That’s the theory anyway.

No queen excluders. That’s all for them.

20130909-114827.jpg

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: