Here’s an update on my hive that swarmed. I was very pleased to see larvae and the queen in my hive a while back. (See last post).
Well, I checked the hive again, a week later, on Friday, September 13. I saw no larvae and no queen. I saw no evidence that there was a queen there at all. There was pollen and honey and worker bees, but no queen or larvae.
So, I’m wondering what’s going on.
I wanted to check again last weekend, but the weather was so bad I couldn’t get into the hives. I hope to do an inspection early this Friday, September 27.
In the meantime, I removed some frames that had moth infestations and froze them. I also started supplemental water feeding and reduced the entrance to about an inch, so they could defend it better.
I’ll probably remove an entire box so they have less room to work with and less space to spread out.
On Saturday, September 14, I went to a very interesting class with Michael Bush sponsored at the Washington Arboretum in Seattle, sponsored by the Puget Sound Beekeepers Association.
It dealt with natural beekeeping. It was very interesting and thought-provoking. I’ll talk about that next time.